As we reported previously, a week of action will take place from the 23 – 27 September to highlight the importance of tax enquiry centres and our campaign to keep them open.
HMRC enquiry centres provide a free, local, face-to-face service that helps people deal with complex tax issues, now this is under threat as the government plots to close all 281 of these offices at the cost of 1,300 jobs.
Taxpayers will be forced to use telephone helplines at their own expense.
From the self-employed to the unemployed, working parents to pensioners, disabled people to migrant workers, more than 2.5 million rely on this service every year.
Major flaws in the plan
There are a number of flaws to HMRC’s plan:
- The closures will make it harder for people who want to pay their taxes – HMRC fails to collect £120 billion in taxes each year
- People who need a face-to-face service are unlikely to be able to receive one
- Taxpayers will be kept on hold on a phone queuing system voted the worst in the UK at their own expense.
We are campaigning against these unnecessary cuts with activities across the UK from 23-27 September.
Daily regional protests have been organised in the following locations:
- Stockton: Outside Stockton Enquiry Centre, George Stephenson House, Thornaby at 1pm.
- Sunderland: Outside Sunderland Enquiry Centre, High Street West at 12:15 pm
- Glasgow: Sauchiehall Street, outside Boots the chemist – all day.
- Brighton: Outside the Labour Party conference at the Brighton conference centre from 12:30 pm.
- Euston Tower: Outside Euston Tower Enquiry Centre, 286 Euston Road– time to be confirmed.
- Isle of Wight: Outside Isle of Wight Enquiry Centre, Broadlands House, Staplers Road from 1 pm
- Portsmouth: Stall in Meadow Walk, Cascades Shopping Centre from 11am – 2pm.
- Wembley: Outside Wembley Enquiry Centre, Valiant House, 365 High Street from 12:30 – 1:30 pm.
- Woolwich: Outside Woolwich Enquiry Centre, Riverside House West, Woolwich High Street, at lunchtime – time to be confirmed.
- Bootle: Outside Bootle Enquiry Centre, The Triad, Stanley Road from 12.30 pm-1.30pm
- Carlisle: Outside Carlisle Enquiry Centre, Stocklund House, Castle Street from 10 am – 12 noon.
- Whitehaven: Outside Whitehaven Enquiry Centre, The Copeland Centre, Catherine Street – from 10 am – 12 noon.
- Ipswich: Outside Ipswich Enquiry Centre, St Clare House, Princes Street from 12 noon.
- Leicester: Outside Leicester Enquiry Centre, Saxon House, 1 Causeway Lane at 1 pm.
- Luton: Outside Luton Enquiry Centre – details to be confirmed.
- Southend: Outside Southend Enquiry Centre, Alexander House, 21 Victoria Avenue from 12:30 pm.
You can also support our campaign by taking these actions:
Monday: Sign the e-petition.
Tuesday: Send a letter to the local press about the proposed closures – make it short, relevant to local issues, topical and to the point.